Main Page Content
Classified Service Appointment Procedure Guide
- Appointment/Status Change Recommendation Form - How to fill out the form.
- Classified Service Handbook - Understand your position as a New York State Civil Service employee and to provide
you with an overview of the benefits, services, and regulations relevant to your employment.
- Classification of Positions competitive, non-competitive, exempt, and labor classes. (page 6)
- Types of Appointments permanent, contingent permanent, provisional, and temporary (page 6)
- Probationary Period (page 7)
- Promotion It is the policy of the state of New York to fill higher graded positions by promotion from the lower grades whenever appropriate. (page 7)
- Transfer (page 7)
- Reinstatement (page 7)
- Position Classification and Compensation Generally defined, “position classification” is the means by which a job, comprised of specific duties and responsibilities, is analyzed and relegated into a class or title (page 8)
- Classification and Compensation - Information about Titles and Salaries
- Extra Service Information and Policy
- Hiring for Vacant Positions
- Separation from Employment
- Additional Resources, Web sites, and Publications
- Career Mobility Website - This website provides a variety of Services including: Customized career counseling; Career tools, resources, and workshops; Assistance to help them stay continuously employed in the face of organizational change.
- Employee or Independent Contractor
- NYS Civil Service Law
- Collective Bargaining Agreements
- Employment Opportunities