Main Page Content
Cellular Device Reimbursement for Business Usage
The College at Brockport recognizes that the performance of certain job responsibilities may be enhanced by the use of various communication tools and related services. This is the College’s procedure for the reimbursement of individual cellular phone expense. This policy applies to all persons that have been determined to need a cellular phone for business purposes. This approach is encouraged for current employees with state provided cell phones and it is required for new employees who are determined to need cell phones.
Consider the following questions when determining an employee’s need for a cellular device for the purposed of conducting college business:
- Do the individual's responsibilities within the department include making critical day-to-day business decisions/guidance that require immediate and or continuous communication with others at the College or others working on the College's behalf?
- Do the daily duties of this position require him/her to be frequently out of the office, in remote locations, or off campus and communication is essential to the business functions of the department?
- Is the position expected to receive and return critical calls outside non-working hours?
- Would a WiFi enabled device, i.e. iPod Touch, meet the employee’s needs?
Responsibility for the administration of this policy rests within each division or appropriate unit. Approvals must be obtained from the department chair/unit head, the Dean/AVP, and the Provost or appropriate Divisional VP. Complete the Cellular Phone Justification and Allowance Request Form, secure the appropriate approvals, and submit to the Assistant Vice President for Finance and Management for processing.
Individual Reimbursement Allowance
- Ownership and responsibility of a cellular phone and service plan resides with the employee. Employees may select any cellular provider. State employee discounts are available.
- A $25 monthly allowance will be paid through the state reimbursement process for as long as the employee's job responsibilities require cellular phone service. Employees requiring data or text messaging features will be reimbursed up to an additional $45 monthly. The employee will receive an annual allowance payment.
- The employee is responsible for selecting a service provider, enrolling in a cellular calling plan, and purchasing equipment. The employee should ensure that the service provider and calling plan comply with any requirements established by their supervisor.
- The calling plan agreement will be in the name of the employee who will be solely responsible for all payments to the service provider.
- The employee is responsible for all charges on their personal calling plan, including early termination fees. If the employee leaves the position, they continue to be responsible for the contractual obligations of their calling plan.
- It is the employee’s responsibility to comply with state and municipal laws regarding the use of cellular device while driving.
- Cellular transmissions are not secure and employees should use discretion in relaying confidential information over cellular devices and when using the device in public surroundings.
Substantiated domestic and international business calls will be reimbursed via a State of NY Standard Travel/Reimbursement Voucher form submitted to the Procurement and Payment Office.
Maintaining Your Allowance
Employees are required to annually submit a copy of their July cellular bill, along with proper reimbursement forms, and completed cellular phone allowance request form to the Office of Procurement and Payment.
Personal Mobile Device Policy
Participants are expected to adhere to the college’s Personal Mobile Device Policy. For more information, please go to the following website: http://www.brockport.edu/lits/policies/pmd.php
Departmentally Owned Cellular Device
Positions may have job specific needs that justify departmental ownership of cellular devices. Delivery drivers, facilities personnel, residential life, and safety officers are examples where phones may be assigned or rotated among employees. Equipment and calling plans may be charged to a departmental account and the equipment will be classified as a university asset. All usage must be documented and personal calls must be reimbursed. Determination of the requirements for a position rests with the appropriate institutional officer.
Please contact Chelsea Donnelly, ext. 2338, for assistance.
Personal Mobile Device Policy: http://www.brockport.edu/lits/policies/pmd.php