The Department of University Police is committed to providing a safe and secure campus environment for all students, staff, faculty and visitors. With emphasis on crime prevention and deterrence, personal safety education and service to the College community, we continually strive to improve our performance and work together in mutual respect.
The University Police Department is comprised of a team of professionals whose mission is to provide a safe and secure learning environment for the SUNY Brockport community on both college property and the adjacent roadways. The University Police is a Division of Criminal Justice Services accredited organization. As the primary law enforcement agency for the campus officers are responsible for the enforcement of all state and local laws, as well as the rules and regulations of the SUNY Brockport Code of Student Conduct. The University Police oversees the college’s emergency manager, which is responsible for emergency management functions such as planning, training, exercise development and response for SUNY Brockport. Additionally, University Police supervises the Student Patrol, which operates the SAFERIDE campus escort service as one of its duties.
All sworn members are certified armed police officers who received their basic training certification at a regional academy. In addition to its sworn members the University Police also maintains its own communications center. This is staffed by professional dispatchers who are available to answer both emergency and non-emergency calls 24 hours a day/365 days a year. They also monitor and review security cameras that are located throughout the college.
- Round-the-clock patrol, via motor vehicle, foot and bicycle, of campus property and surrounding roadways in order to deter, prevent and detect criminal activity
- Investigation of all crimes that are reported to have occurred on campus property
- Enforcement of college and Residence Hall policies in conjunction with the Office of Residential Life/Learning Communities
- 24-hour staffing of Dispatch Desk where emergency calls and requests for service are received and all campus fire alarm systems and Blue Light emergency telephones are monitored
- Crime prevention, safety education, and student-requested programs presented in Residence Halls through the Community Policing Program
- Oversight of the Student Patrol including operation of the Campus Escort Service (SafeRide) which provides safe transportation services upon request (585-395-SAFE) during the hours of darkness (8 pm-2 am daily during the academic year).
- Staffing of major campus events such as Commencement, Welcome Week activities, major concerts, athletic contests, late-night social events, etc. in order to ensure public safety and order maintenance
- Training, planning and coordination of activities related to campus Emergency Preparedness